Tree References and Links
- 1. To Learn more join Northern Nut Growers Association for information about all nut trees and also join the local chapter for your state at: http://nutgrowing.org/
2. Ontario Hazelnut Association (OHA) This new association just north of New York State border was established to promote the establishment of a commercial hazelnut industry in Ontario. Farmers are encouraged to plant hazelnuts with established and new cultivars in Southern Ontario. Go to: http://ontariohazelnuts.com/.
3. Upper Midwest Hazelnut Development Initiative (UMHDI) is a collaboration of growers and researchers working to develop a sustainable hazelnut industry in the Upper Midwest at http://midwesthazelnuts.org/
4. Oregon Hazelnut Organization at http://www.oregonhazelnuts.org/ And they provide a grower book to review at: http://www.oregonhazelnuts.org/growers-corner/grower-handbook/
5. Society of Ontario Nut Growers (SONG) To learn more visit their website at http://www.songonline.ca.
6. The American Chestnut Foundation (TACF) to reestablish the American Chestnut tree at: http://www.acf.org/
7. Michigan State University Extension has excellent practical grower information on Chestnuts at http://msue.anr.msu.edu/topic/info/chestnuts/
8. The center for Agroforestry at: http://www.centerforagroforestry.org
9. How to plant chestnuts? Please see one of the following references;
c. Contact your local Cooperative extension agent by starting at the National web site to find offices in you state and location at: http://www.rd.usda.gov/
10. USDA zone chart: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/default.aspx
11. Canada zone chart: http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/images/PHZ_2014_CFS_Map_30M.pdf
12. “Growing Nuts in the North by Carl Weschcke” a free book download at: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18189?msg=welcome_stranger